Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Bad Day


We got very bad news today. After spending 90 minutes playing with Tyler, the head doctor came into the room and talked to our translator who let us know that this child is not available for adoption. Needless to say we were totally and completely devastated. There is no explanation that can justify or explain why this happened, but they said a local Russian woman had asked for the baby but the social worker had not yet filed the papers with the Ministry of Education. Regardless of what is right or wrong, Russian families have preference over over American families. There was no way we could keep the referral. We left and had a very long ride back to the hotel.

Our coordinator here was able to call the Ministry of Education to ask them if we could get in today for another referral. Miraculously, we did and we did get another referral for another13 month old baby boy that is in a baby hospital because there is no room in the baby home for him. He is described as being in good health. It was too late today to visit this home because it is about 60-70 miles outside the city. Since they have no highways and traffic is worse than anything in the US, it will take us 2 to 2.5 hours to get there tomorrow.

We are now both very sad at losing the first referral. After holding and kissing and playing with this child for two days, thinking he was ours, it was just heart breaking to walk away. We are also happy to have a new referral. We have a picture and he is also described as having sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. He is said to be sociable, plays well with others, is active and was communicating and walking a little. We are hopeful that tomorrow will be better than today. While yesterday was the best day, today was the worse.

We know you are all praying for and supporting us. We have not come this far to turn back now, so we are moving forward, cautiously. Everyone said this is very unusual and not to worry about it happening again, but how can you not worry. So, tomorrow, we will try again and go to visit this baby. We will take more pictures and hopefully deliver good news again tomorrow. We are sad but OK. We really do not have time to stay down, because we are meeting a new child tomorrow with the belief that he will be ours forever.
Maria and Jeff


13 Comments:

Blogger Jennefer said...

What a rollercoaster for you guys. I am so sorry that you are going through that loss. I hope things work out with your new referral and you get to spend time with him!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria & Jeff -

Best of luck with the new referral. Just remember to hold onto one another and have faith. All my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Vicki

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria & Jeff,

We are truly sadden by what has happend but feel confident that tomorrow will be your day....your faith and love will get you what you both so deserve. We all love you back here and are praying and praying....Hershey said to tell you that your already the best mommy and daddy around.

Love,
The Youngs

Blogger Suz said...

Oh my, oh my - (((Maria)))

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I know you feel devastated. I am praying!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria and Jeff, I am so sorry to hear hte sad news. Keep the faith and I will keep both you in my prayers. Tomorrow is a new day and you must keep moving forward.

Blogger Melissa said...

I have no words right now. I am so sorry for all you are going through. I know what it feels like to play with a child for 3 days and begin to bond with her and then to not be able to bring that baby home. I am however happy that they found you another child so quickly. I really hope it works out for you sweetie. Hang in there.

Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, how awful. I'm so sorry. I'm adopting domestically and everytime I open my heart to one kid and then have to switch gears it just hurts. I can only imagine how torn you must feel right now.

But I'm glad you've found another referral. You have room in your heart to love both of them.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...

sorry for this news. i hope your second referral works out - it must be tough! :(

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Maria and Jeff -- Sometimes things make no sense at all - but I believe tomorrow will be your day and you will meet your son -- I love you both very much ==love,isabel, stephen allen and joey

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria & Jeff,
We are so sorry for what you are going through right now and are praying that you will soon know the reason why you were brought to your new son. We hope things go smoothly this time and we are looking forward to hearing about the joy of meeting him.
Love, Sandra & Kevin.

Blogger Jenni said...

Maria and Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! I cannot imagine how you must be feelig right now, but I am hoping for a much better day tomorrow. Best of luck meeting your new referral. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Blogger Laura said...

I'm so sorry for your referral loss.
I hope your new referral will turn out to be everything you hoped for in a son. Sometimes, things happen and you find out later that it was meant to be this way.
I can't imagine a different child in my life than my G.
hugs,
Laura

Blogger Deb said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the bad news. But you seem to be doing just fine so that's good. How wonderful that you were able to get a new referral so quickly. I hope today has brought you some great news and time with your child.

Post a Comment

<< Home